Sunday, July 10, 2011

Monkey Monkey!

I fed the monkeys

Finally a glimpse of some real animals in Ghana! I was beginning to think I wasn't in Africa--aside from a few things that tipped me off. But really, it's always great to see some monkeys.

Monkeyed
This monkey sanctuary near Techiman has Colobus and Mona monkeys that live alongside a village of people who consider them spiritual beings. I think the monkeys get the better end of the deal--food for the taking in the village, visitors feeding you bananas, and monkey priests giving you a proper burial.

Hanging with my boy
It was pretty wild how close we got to the monkeys. There is a lot of discussion in class of people coming back to Africa to find their roots. Found mine with the monkeys. Cross that off the list. They would actually come up and grab a banana out of your hand! They look like little humans--so cute I debated how hard it would be to sneak one in through customs. It would be pretty hard.

Nephew
 
If I ever get back there though, you can figure out anything with a little time. That monkey is mine! 

1 comment:

  1. If that monkey is your nephew, then I guess he's my great-nephew. --cathy

    ReplyDelete